Because of the rapid increase in combustibility of materials as pressure rises, safety measures must be implemented. A review of substances and items not allowed in the chamber should be gone over, as well as the reasons for these. Additionally a list of these should be posted in a place visible to the patients and staff.
Health care personnel have the responsibility to check each patient prior to each treatment.
- Patients should wear only 100% cotton clothing provided by the hyperbaric unit.
- No personal garments of unnecessary items are allowed.
- Any toiletries containing “alcohol, oil or petroleum-based substances must be removed.
- All jewelry and glasses must be removed; rings may be taped.
- A grounding strap must be affixed to ground static electricity.
- Items that contain batteries are not allowed (including watches, hearing aids, TENS units, external pacemakers, etc.).
- No hard contact lenses may be worn.